Friday, April 13, 2007

A Conservative Looks At Abstinence Education

I have to admit I haven't paid any attention at all to the "abstinence-only" approach to sex education for middle and high school students in public schools.

Now that this report has come out today claiming that such a thing doesn't work, I have to say I don't doubt the report at all.

It is very simple. "Abstinence-only" education works perfectly when two parents who are married to each other start having frank conversations with their children when those children are seven or eight years old. Continuing to hold age-appropriate discussions about members of the opposite sex and what constitutes proper physical contact prior to marriage throughout the teenage years is critical. An intact nuclear family is very important in this process.

As a child of divorced parents, I wish this weren't the case, but it is.

So we are spending $176 million a year in federal tax dollars to start telling 11 year olds in public schools not to have unmarried sex?

What a stupid idea. Sorry, I know liberals have been saying that for a long time. But you guys are so wrong about social issues usually I just tuned it out.