Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lex. Mayor Newberry: it depends on what you mean by do I know corrections officers

Sworn testimony by Lexington Mayor Jim Newberry in the Fayette County Detention Center indicates he is far more incompetent than was previously known.

The following is from a deposition conducted by attorney William Jacobs of Lexington:
Jacobs: So has anybody, anybody, Ted Bennett or anybody else, assured you or reassured you that the Detention Center is being operated according to law, safely, following the constitutional law and all that? Has anybody told you that? Not those exact words, but you know what I am asking you.

Newberry: I don't know that I've heard those exact words, but I have had no reason to believe that things were being done otherwise. I have confidence in Mr. Bennett's ability. I have confidence in Mr. Bishop's ability. And I'm impressed with the professionalism of the other jail personnel, with whom I've had occasion to work with from time to time. So I don't have any reason to believe that it's being operated in less than an appropriate fashion.

Jacobs: Is it fair to say that you have that opinion because you haven't asked anybody?

Newberry: I think I just told you why I have that opinion.

Jacobs: Because they're good workers out there you have confidence in them?

Newberry: Yes.

Jacobs: Okay. How many corrections officers do you know?

Newberry: I don't know... I guess it depends on what you mean by do I know corrections officers.


This is going to be more fun than I thought it was going to be.