Wednesday, January 16, 2008

This Isn't The "Taxpayer Transparency" We Need

Rep. Harry Moberly came under intense fire last year for trying to hide more legislative actions behind closed doors. After seeing that, it was surprising to see him file a bill yesterday to open up the secretive "economic development" process by requiring the Cabinet for Economic Development to provide information to the legislature upon request. That could be a good thing.

But you have to read the whole bill, which includes this:
(3) Information that shall be provided upon request includes:
(a) Any information acquired from any records of the Department of Revenue, but excluding the taxpayer's name ...


I don't know about you, but I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of Harry Moberly being allowed to legally pore over my state tax returns with just my name blacked out.

In case you don't get my objection, let me ask you this: how many taxpayers live at your address?