Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Why can't it be "press one for freedom?"

Just took a call from James "Jim" Wells of Lexington. He said he wanted to talk to me about something. Said he had just called in to Verizon customer service and had a recorded voice tell him to press one for English.

"I didn't serve in the war on foreign soil to press one for English," Wells, who will be 82 in January, said.

Wells joined the United States Navy on his 17th birthday and spent most of World War Two in England, Ireland, and Wales. He earned four battle stars.

"I could hear the Battle of Normandy," he said. "I wasn't in it, but I could hear it."

He then went to the Pacific and arrived in Tokyo thirteen days after the war had ended. He remembers seeing suicide bombers.

Mr. Wells said he enjoyed reading this site and asked if I might help put his frustration into words. Done, Mr. Wells. God bless you. And thank you for your service to America.