Sunday, September 14, 2008

Kathy Stein: rape is in the eye of the beholder

I thought I had heard it all when Gov. Steve Beshear said that Kentucky gasoline retailers were trying to eat us, but now he says they want to have forcible sexual relations with us first.

My question is: which gas stations is he talking about, and which stations are non-violent? I really want to know.

And as much as I love a good non-apology apology, I have to wonder how many milliseconds it would take for a Republican to be crucified for making similar comments and then apologizing only "if I offended anyone."

And the best part is seeing Rep. Kathy Stein ride in to the rescue.

"Reactions to Beshear’s initial comment varied. State Rep. Kathy Stein, D-Lexington, called Beshear’s analogy of rape “tough, but perhaps appropriate.”"

"“Sometimes situations call for brutally descriptive language,” Stein said in an interview yesterday."

Stein's opponent in this November's Senate race should ask Stein to tone down the rhetoric about sexual crime she now condones. I'd like to hear more about Stein's philosophy of the state's role in price regulation. And perhaps she could suggest a less invasive sexual crime for her ridiculous analogies.

Or maybe she could tell us that if high gas prices are rape, what sexual crime is it when bad public policy causes gasoline supplies to dry up?