Thursday, February 09, 2006

Liberal Free-For-All In Committee Meeting

Tuesday's House Appropriation and Revenue committee meeting in Frankfort was a sight to behold. The hot topic was HB 506, Rep. Jim Wayne's Tax Increase Bill. Since no one in the MSM has reported on the festivities, here's a quick rundown:

--Rep. Wayne(D-Louisville) said "This is not radical legislation. What I am proposing is reasonable and modest." He was referring to his bill which is, according to LRC estimates, a $192 million tax increase. Rep. Wayne proceeded to get caught up in all the excitement and started quoting Wendell Berry's memorable economic philosophy: "Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws of supply and demand; it is the privilege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy.” I am not making this up.

--Debra Miller of Ky. Youth Advocates said “The Earned Income Tax Credit is widely recognized as the number one poverty fighter at the federal level.”

--Rep. Mary Lou Marzian said "I don’t know how much longer we as a legislative body will sit here and talk about the budget being in the toilet. I’m prepared to vote on this bill today. We can take some bold steps and do something postive. It is time. The train has left. Be brave. Be courageous. Pass legislation that can help Kentucky families."

--Bill Stolte of Berea said “Many mornings I find myself asking myself, ‘Why am I here?’ You should ask why you are here."